Monday 29 August 2011

Mr Edward

When we got married, Helen and I decided that we wanted to share the same surname. I reasoned that this was also a good oportunity to lose my middle name (which I have never been fond of), and also to have a surname that no one could possibly mispell as I have become tired over the years of everyone missing off the final 't' of Elliott and/or being creative with the l's

So I wasn't amused when the doctor's surgery didn't read the Deed Poll correctly, and changed my name to Ian Alvin Edward - keeping both my old middle name and also missing off the final 's' of Edwards. I took the deep poll in again and they said 'just leave it with us'. So I feel pretty sure they still won't have gotten it right.

The bank ignored the details too and reissued all my cards, paying in books and cheque books in the name 'Ian Alvin Edwards'.


The vets also missed off the final 's'. Is Edwards commonly misspelt as Edward?

This week the vet advised us that it is time to have William put down. He has been suffering for the past couple of years with a form of skin cancer, and now he has a large open wound on his face. We have to go back in on Monday the 5th of September.

He is such a big part of our lives, I can't imagine what it will be like next week without him.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure there is a comment really! It doesn't happen much to me but Dad always used to get Mr Edward Morris! Whenever he was in hospital or anywhere he was called Mr Morris.

    (Ian Alvin Edward sounds like a good name for a teddy bear - go and get a cuddle from Helen!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't recall ever having my Edwards mis-spelt. However I am sometimes asked in Napier whether I have a second E as in Edwardes. This is because there is an Edwardes Road in Napier. However you have reminded me that I have never posted 'On Being Called Edwardes' which I shall do in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine the hassles of changing ones name. I know it's hard enough to get people to change the address they hold for you so I can imagine this will be doubly confusing.

    Sorry to hear about William. Give him a hug from Bryony and me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely get Elliott misspelt - I can't remember the last time it happened. I imagine any name can be spelt wrongly though. Sorry to hear about William.

    ReplyDelete